Search This Blog

Wednesday 19 October 2011

Fish Kilawin (Ceviche)

Remembering those days when I was still a child, Saturdays are the best days for me, no school, no church, it's a totally free day! I love you Sabado! Sabado is our local term for Saturday, it is a day to play without worries of homework, but not necessarily means no errands to run though. When you hear your name being called upon on this holy day of ours, it only means one thing, you have been chosen...chosen to run an errand is what I meant. You have to stop playing Piko or Jolens and try to convince your siblings to go with you, if not, your turns for the game will just have to pass. Why was it always me? (after a decade or so I realized it was always me because I have a good memory and do not forget every detail about the errands-plus the "keep-the-change" motivation always gets me), now why is this story part of the recipe again? This is why; Our Mom needs some salted eggs that you can get from nearby sari-sari stores in the neighborhood. I have to go and get some "Itlog na Pula" (Red Egg), which is by the way "Itlog na Maalat" in Tagalog and "Salted Egg" in English.  Sari-sari stores don't actually provide fancy packaging for you purchases, you have to hold everything in your hands! Ain't that rough! It's the dreaded "Itlog na Pula" we are talking about here, you hold it with sweaty palms, you get caught with a red hand for several days. But at least I get to keep the change, I can get those "Lipps" candies and viola! I have red lips and red hands.

This dish is served as an appetizer and at times a canape or "Pulutan", during a drinking session. 

FISH KILAWIN (CEVICHE)
Serves 6

400 g        White Fish, filleted and cut into bite-size pieces
2 pcs         Salted Eggs, peeled and chopped roughly into small pieces
1 inch        Ginger, peeled and minced finely
1 pc          Red Onion, chopped roughly
1 pc          Green Tomato, chopped roughly
2 pcs         Red Chilis (Siling Labuyo), chopped finely
1 Tbsp      Vinegar
2 Tbsp      Calamansi Juice
                 Salt & Pepper to taste

This is easy, just mix everything thoroughly, cover with cling film and refrigerate until ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment